HOW TO PROTECT ONESELF AGAINST COVID-19 AT WORK
One of the biggest challenges for many people is how to protect themselves from Covid-19 while in the line of duty. This is a two edged sword for most people because they earn their livelihood from their workplace(s).
Here is what WHO advises –
Measures to prevent transmission of COVID-19 that apply to all workplaces and all people at the workplace include:
- Frequent hand-washing or disinfection with alcohol based hand sanitizer,
- Respiratory hygiene such as covering coughs,
- Physical distancing of at least 1 metre or more according to the national recommendations,
- Wearing of masks where distancing is not possible,
- Regular environmental cleaning and disinfection, and
- Limiting unnecessary travel.
Clear policies and messages, training, and education for staff and managers to increase awareness of COVID-19 are essential. The management of people with COVID-19 or their contacts is also critical e.g. requiring workers who are unwell or who develop symptoms to stay at home, self isolate and contact a medical professional or the local COVID-19 information line for advice on testing and referral.